Most Common Home Insurance Claims Filed in Colorado

The most frequently filed home policy claims provide a guide for how you can reinforce your home to be heartier, so Maanen Insurance Group serving Greeley, CO wants you to know what causes individuals to need to file claims here in Colorado. Your home does not have to incur damage although named perils still occur.

In Colorado, five named perils likely cause damage to your home:

  • Wind
  • Hail
  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Water

Thunderstorms, tornadoes, and other strong winds cause damage to your home. Hail also causes damage, stemming from thunderstorms. These storms cause average damage of $11,200. Roof damage tops the type of damage caused by these storms. The wind blows shingles off of the roof; hail knocks the shingles off or knocks dings and holes into the roof. You can have your roof reinforced after a roofing inspection. This adds a layer of protection to your home that makes it tougher for wind or hail to damage it.

Lightning also causes similar damage to roofs but also spawns fires. While this ranks as the second most common type of damage, it costs more. Fire damage claims cost nearly $80,000 on average. Fire damages the exterior and interior of the home as well as destroying property inside. You can add fire retardant protections to the inside and outside your home, including fire-resistant wallboard and paint.

The last most common damage type is water damage.  This occurs from snowmelt, rain, plumbing leaks, and burst pipes. The tears in your roof allow snowmelt or rain to enter the attic area or top floor if you have no attic. This causes damage to the home itself and the items inside. Conducting appropriate maintenance on your plumbing can help alleviate pipe bursts and related issues. The aforementioned roof reinforcement helps to prevent water damage from snowmelt and rain.

Learn more about how you can hazard proof your home by contacting Maanen Insurance Group serving Greeley CO and the surrounding area. Let us help you protect your home with homeowner’s insurance.